From:
DAdams2796 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:22:56 EST

Hello all!

This is my first posting.  It goes to all of you in proximity to Waban (Newton
area) in Massachusetts.  The BREADSMITH  at 1649 Beacon Street (617-964-0530)
is baking GF bread.  I went to check it out and it's true!!!!  Here are the
details:

They bake it twice a month and only on Tuesdays.  This is because the bakery
is closed on Mondays and they want to make sure there is no wheat flour in the
AIR.  Having been closed for 36 hours, GF baking is the first order of
business on the Tuesdays they bake it.

Right now they only make white bread but they expect to continue their
experiments with GF baking and branch out to other items.

Hugh Redmond, the owner, gave me a tour of the baking area.  There is no
chance of cross contamination.  The mixing bowl is cleaned so meticulously it
looked brand new (By the way- he didn't know I was coming so this is how it
always is).   The GF bread has it's own loaf pans which they again clean in
case any flour dust has gotten into them. After baking, the bread is moved out
of the mixing area when it is cooling (before they put it in plastic bags) so
that no ingredients from the next round of baking can contaminate.  All of the
GF ingredients are kept in a separate area.

The bread is delicious.  It costs $5.00 for a two-pound loaf.  You must call
and get on their list so they can notify you of baking day.  Ingredients:
Tapioca, Soy, Rice, Potato-Starch, Eggs, Xanthan Gum, Apple Cider Vinegar,
Salt, Yeast.

Even though it takes me longer to drive there than put all the ingredients in
my bread machine, I suggest supporting this effort.  It's those additional
items I can't wait to find- just to give my daughter the experience of going
to a bakery and BUYING SOMETHING.