From:
Tom Fiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:09:14 -0800

    Dan Davis asks whether an anaphylactic reaction to a
gluten-containing product would be the result of CD or of "another
concurrent allergy."
    1. An anaphylactic reaction may be defined as an acute,
hypersensitive reaction that is systemic (involving the whole body). If
it is caused by an allergy, an anaphylactic reaction may be
life-threatening.
    2. A review of the "CELIAC FAQ"  file will provide an overview of
the variety of symptoms experienced by celiacs. With the emphasis on
"variety!" Not much is said about acute reactions, but from comments
I've read and from the experiences of my partner who has celiac disease,
I know that reactions to gluten-containing foods CAN be acute.
    3. However, celiac disease is not generally regarded as an allergy.
It's my understanding that one can have CD or gluten intolerance without
being allergic to gluten. However, one can have CD and ALSO be allergic
to gluten or to gluten -containing products. One can have CD
concurrently with allergies, or other medical conditions, that may
complicate or intensify the reaction to gluten.
    4. To conclude, can we say that an acute, systemic reaction to
gluten is not a typical response of someone with "simple CD?"  It may
indicate a  severe form of the disease, or of CD concurent with
allergies or other conditions.