From:
"Peter M. Marino" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:56:47 EST

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES! I inquired about gluten in L Glutamine and
here is my first summary:

L-glutamine is an amino acid.  It is one of the 20 (if I remember
correctly) amino acids that form proteins. If it is present as pure L-
glutamine,
it should be OK. If it is derived from hydolysis (break down) of proteins
- it would probably be good to know the protein source -  because if it is
derived from grain and the breakdown process were incomplete - then the
problematic polypeptides (short pieces of protein) could be present.

_______________________________________

I checked with my GI man (Dr. Joe Murray well known with celiacs) re
glutamine because I heard it was good with leaky gut syndrome.  He told me
that indeed it did have some benefits--wasn't sure about leaky gut-- but
with memory , feeling better etc.  As long as it was from synthetic sources
I could take it.  I called GNC who has a health food place here and they
told me it was synthetic and gluten free.  I take 1000 mg. once a day and I
really do feel a lot better.  So good luck.

Peter,   L-glutamine is an amino acid.  It is present in all proteins.  The
"glut" at the beginning has no relation to gluten.

* Celiac Web Page:  http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/celiac *according to my
Nutritional Healing book, L-Glutamine is an amino acid.
"...Most amino acid supplements are derived from egg protein, yeast
proteins, or animal protein.  The crystalline fee form amino acids are
generally extracted from a variety of grain products.  Brown rice bran is
a prime source, although cold-pressed yeast and milk proteins are also
used.  Amino acids in the free form are the purest.  Free form amino
acids can be taken for rapid absorption.  These white crystalline amino
acids are stable at room temperature and decompose when heated to
temperatures between 350'F and 660'F (180'C and 350'C).

L-Glutamine is important in alcoholism, craving for sugar, mental
ability, impotence, fatigue, epilepsy, senility, schizophrenia, mental
retardation, peptic ulcers, and maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.
It is converted to glutamic acid in the brain, which is essential for
cerebral function and increases the amount of GABA needed."

I don't know if this helps, it looks like another thing we need to
question the source of.