From:
Bonnie Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:01:46 -0600

Based on the comments I have recieved I think I should make some
clarifications on my previous post. My comments on distilled alcohol were
meant only to apply only to the high purity alcohol that is commonly used
in extracts and to make vinegar.  They should not be applied to distilled
liquors.  Distilled liquors commonly contain many ingredients that do not
go through the distillation process.  These ingredients may contain gluten.
As has been mentioned previously and is discussed at the following web
site (http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1256/ga.htm) gluten has
been detected in distilled liquors.  The distilled liquors which the
Flemmish society analyzed, contain many ingredients that are added after
distillation.  There is no reason to believe that the gluten detected in
these beverages came through the distillation process and there are many
valid reasons to believe that it did not.

The web site mentioned also implies that gluten/gliaden is destroyed in the
distillation process.  Gluten is not destroyed in the distillation process,
it is very effectively removed from the distillate.  Even if gluten is
broken down to short amino acid fragments, peptides also have very low
vapor pressures (from my experience even single amino acids have vapor
pressures less than 0.00000001 torr) and should be entirely separated from
the alcohol by distillation.   Assays for total nitrogen content in
distilled alcohol would detect any peptide fragment that made it through
the distillation and they routinely show nitrogen below the detection
limit.  There is no reason to believe that gliaden or any peptides from
gliaden make it through the distillation process.