From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:51:00 -0500

A while back, someone mentioned discovering she was having mysterious
gluten reactions until she tracked it down to her fish's food! That
started me thinking about occasional mystery reactions of my own,
when I just knew I hadn't broken the diet, and I checked out my dog's
treats, which I hand her several times a day. Sure enough, most of
them had wheat flour as a main ingredient, often the first
ingredient, in fact. All brands of biscuits, such as Milk Bone, Meaty
Bone, and Bonz, had wheat flour right up there. I have started washing
my hands carefully every time I treat her, and have been searching the
supermarkets and pet food places for gf treats to use. My mystery
reactions are way down.

So far the only definitely gf treat I've found is freeze-dried
chicken livers or beef livers. PupPeroni and Doggie Bag Treats do not
list wheat flour or any other grain, as their main ingredients use soy
grits, but do list natural flavors, and caramel coloring; I have not
checked with the manufacturer whether these are gf-based or not, but
I do feel better about handling them than most other treats. I use
Meaty Bones for her biscuit, as the coating makes them less crumb-y.
I still wash my hands after each treat.

(I have no financial interest in any brand mentioned.) If anybody
knows of other dog treats that are gf, please let me know. I'll
summarize all responses, regardless of regional availability, as I'm
sure lots of us have dogs to treat. (BTW, her vet thinks Chloe may be
allergic to wheat! as she cannot eat most commercial dog food! She
eats rice mixed with baby food lamb, or with low-fat beef or chicken,
or special--expensive--rice and lamb dog food. So wheat-free treats
may help Chloe out too; she gets itchy and loses fur on commercial
foods, and still has occasional problems now.)

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore