Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:34:43 -0800

Hi Friends,
        Here is the summary of suggestions and recipes for the crunchy
coffee cake toppers:

2 suggested the following:

>We have always simply substituted brown rice flour for the wheat flour
>usually called for in coffee cake topping; we think it's delicious and
>none of the resident wheat eaters have ever complained.

*one uses this as a sub for apple pie topping as well.
****************

*****************

*****************

******************

>I use Health Valley Rice Bran Crackers. These have been mentioned on
>the list before, they are a really good substitute for grahm crackers. Anyway
>I put them in my blender and they make really good crumbs.
******************

two people suggested the following:

Suggestion #1
>I suggest looking into rolled buckwheat.  I've used it with success when
>oatmeal is called for.  Not exactly what you asked but it might do.  I
>don't know where you would get it in your neck of the woods, but I get it
>from Kinnikinnick Foods in Edmonton, Alberta.  They sell only GF products.

Suggestion #2
******************

>I make muffins that are hard to distinguish from gluten muffins.  For the
>topping I take 1 stick butter, and cut it up with a pastry blender - add about
>1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup gf flour.  For apple, cranberry, or sweet
>potato muffins, I add1/2 - 3/4 tsp. cinnamon.  I sprinkle this on the muffins
>before baking (sometimes adding chopped pecans).  It stays crumbly and I'm
>sure
>it would work for coffee cake too.

MY NOTE:  This is the idea I have been using but without success.  The only
difference I can see is that I have been using "margarine"  instead of
*real* butter.  Guess I will try the real butter next time.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions I really appreciate your help.  :0)

Lynda

\*/ Mailto:[log in to unmask] \*/ Southern California \*/\*/ _@v