From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:38:05 -0500

I sent out an inquiry about mental health professionals in the NYC area
who were experienced in matters relating to CD. I also asked various
physicians whom I consult if they had suggestions.  They are going to
ask  their GI contacts for recommendations--it seems that the really
with it GI people have become interested in the gut-brain connection.
When (IF) I find things out from that source I will post the results.

Meanwhile:  6 replies from the list yield the following:
1 recommended  strict adherence to the diet and vitamin therapy to keep
depression under control: the vitamin therapy to be supervised by a good
nutritionist, and to be eased into gradually for best results.

Another was directed by Diane Paley in 1993 to try the Princeton Bio
Center in Stillman, NJ.  Diane is  the  Regional CD person for CSA/USA,
and has many contacts, and very helpful.  [log in to unmask]
 They put me on massive doses of multi-vitiamns, B6, Calcium, Magnesium,
Vitiamn C, MAE for memory, and one  other.
Back to the Princeton Bio Center, Schizophrenia, results from having a
chemical imbalance in the system,(all those years of malaborstion caused
some damage).  Their testing is quite extensive and expensive, $250.00
for  the first visit (1993 prices) but is well worth it. They also treat
and have helped many CD patients, it is also an allergy clinic.  I think
their main teachings are related to chemical deficientcies in the human
body.

(I have the address of this person and will let you have it if you want
it.)

A third suggested Jean Landon of the Greater NYC Chapter. She might be
able to help 212/662-6435.

A fourth recommended joining a support group.

A fifth suggested a clinical psychologist (Craig S. Fabrikant, Ph.D.)
who has a practice in Emerson, NJ. (about 30 min. drive from the G.W.
Bridge/Ft. Lee).  He knows a good deal about Celiac -- the
medical and clinical aspects -- he has it in his family.  I don't know to
what extent he has worked specifically with Celiac patients, but I do know
that he has been in practice for years, is on the staff of a couple of local
hospitals, and treats a wide range of mental health conditions.  I think a
large portion of his practice deals with adolescents, learning.

Craig S. Fabrikant, Ph.D.
106 Old Hook Road
Westwood, N.J.  07675
Tel:  201-664-7418
He also has an e-mail address:  [log in to unmask]

Sixth: Milton Viederman (525 E. 68;212-746-3919)is a highly regarded
psychiatrist whose special interests include "Reaction to Physical
Illness," according to the book How to Find the Best Doctors in New
York.  His rates can be expensive, though.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  What I am looking for is not so much
help dealing with personal depression as someone to consult about the
larger family problems relevant to the condition.
Nancy in nyc