From:
Jerry Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:54:30 -0500

Many thanks to the 26 of you fellow Celiacs who took the time to respond
to my question. I got more than I bargained for.
Here are the results:

1. The ELISA test was suggested as good by 9 respondents, 3 of whom
thought that they had identified the offending foods beyond a GF diet.

2.  The RAST test recommended by 1 person and rejected by 5 others who
thought it did not work for them.

3. The following foods were considered allergic to one person each;
casein,corn, rice, soy and xanthum made from barley.

4. The elimination diet was recommended by 5 people, one thought that it
took too long and was hard to administer properly.

5. The Paleolithic diet was recommended by one person and I have to
admit it makes a lot of sense and I will continue studying that concept.

6. The Pulse Test was recommended by one person and it too is an
interesting test that can be done at home.

I want to assure everyone that with my wife being an RN converted to a
dedicated Dietitian for the GF patient, our kitchen is the MOST  GF
KITCHEN in the world. We have a dedicated refrigerator for GF products.
We grind our own flours for baking. Don't eat anything out of a can or
box. All city water is distilled daily, by myself . I use only Freeda
vitamins.I don't lick stamps or envelopes or use any form of cosmetics.
I am so boring that I bore myself with my simple life style. Yet, after
my latest biopsy, the mucosa in the duodenum is still inflammed, just
like you would expect for a Celiac being challenged. Obviously,
something that I am still eating is causing a problem. I have to admit,
because of low albumin, I have been supplementing my meal selections
with Tofu (for more protein)(Silken Style Tofu by Mori-Nu). Last night I
read the bad news that Tofu has a blocking agent within it that won't
allow the absorption of protein. Now it is back to pure meat for every
meal. By the way the low albumin causes swelling of the tissues with
fluid. My legs, penis and scrotum are severely swollen, and only custom
made hose on both legs from toe to hip help. I do take a lasix 20 Mg.
pill each day but when also on 40 mg/day of prednisone, even it doesn't
help much. Yes, I am taking 3 each -K-DUR 20 potassium pills to replace
lost potassium.. Hopefully, with the U of Iowa's help we can find the
problem food. We have already started a food diary.

Thanks again for your wonderful responses. Celiacs are truly good
people.
Jerry Walter
North Palm Beach, Florida, USA.