From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:37:55 -0800

     I have glad tidings for those of us living in NYC. Would you
believe being able to buy frozen GF fruit pies right here in the city?
     I have had several conversations with the manager of Healthy
Pleasures, a large store on University Place, between 11th and 12th
streets, on extending their already large selection of GF items. He
has been very cooperative, and here is the outcome:
     1) NATURAL FEAST PIES. A couple of months ago, through purest
serendipity, I found a large frozen GF apple pie tucked in the most
inaccessible corner of the store's freezer. It was made by Natural
Feast, a Mass. company, and was so good, and so reasonably priced,
that I went back the very next day for more. No luck then or later.
Turns out that the store never reordered them, because they moved very
slowly. But this, as I explained to the manager, was because nobody
knew they were there.
     As a result of our conversation, he has agreed to reorder them as
soon as next week. He will carry only a couple of flavors at first,
until he sees how they sell, and has asked me check with other celiacs
as to which would prove most popular. As far as he recalls, there is
apple, apple crumb, blueberry, cherry, coconut cream, lemon meringue,
apple cranberry, pumpkin (in season). A rapid, informal survey is what
I'm after: will NYC celiacs reading this please message me saying what
flavor they would buy most? I vote for blueberry.
     2) PIE SHELLS. "Natural Feast also makes frozen GF pie shells,
would people be interested in them," asked the manager. "God, yes!" I
cried, memories of my pathetic attempts at GF baking flooding my
brain. Would you please include in your reply whether you would be
interested in frozen pie shells?
     3) GF PRODUCT DEMONSTRATIONS. The manager offered to set up GF
product demonstrations if there was enough interest. How about it? And
when would be the best time for all of us busy NYC celiacs? Late
weekday afternoons, Saturday mornings or afternoons? Please let me
know as soon as possible, and I will summarize your responses and work
something out with the store.
     4) GLUTEN-FREE PANTRY. I don't know about the rest of you, but I
am rarely home to receive packages. It would be a godsend to be able
to purchase Gluten-Free Pantry items whenever I needed them, instead
of having to order them and then sit out the wait. This extremely nice
and cooperative manager has agreed that if enough people show
interest, he will contact the Gluten-Free Pantry this week. Please let
me know if you think this would be useful, and what items you prefer.
I vote for the muffin mix and the white bread mix.
     The sooner I can get our reactions to the store, the sooner they
can start ordering. Please let me know your opinion. Regards to all,
Mary in NYC.