From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:20:52 -0400

I'm going to do a separate cookbook summary and post that later.  Warning:
This is kinda long and rambly.  I feel the need to talk.  :-)

I am so impressed by the outpouring of caring and concern that came my way.
The main message was: "trust my gut" (literally and figuratively!).  Many
people told me of stories of people with negative blood tests but positive
biopsies.  Many expressed concern that I wouldn't go completely GF, that I
might be threatening my health.

Two messages in particular hit me.  One had a relative that was told by Joseph
Murray that there are people who test negative but who clearly do better
without gluten.  That this is not clearly understood, but that yes, it is
possible to be "gluten intolerant" without being "celiac".  This meant a lot
to me, because in essence it was saying "you aren't out of your mind, there
really is something going on here".  And perhaps a biopsy would be positive.
Although to tell you the truth, I don't think my insurance co would pay for it
in the face of a negative blood test, and I also wouldn't look forward to
continue on gluten/feeling bad until that could happen.

The other message said "today's gluten intolerant is tomorrow's celiac; don't
mess around with your health".

Yesterday, I had another wake up call, which I didn't understand, but which
was pretty dramatic to me.  I had been determinedly eating gluten for about 3
months before my blood test. The strange thing was that as time went on, my
reactions to gluten seemed to get *less* consistent!  I would have thought the
opposite would be true.  Then after the blood was drawn, I eased up and had
been quite low gluten for a couple of weeks.  But I hadn't really gotten any
GF foods yet, and yesterday I was looking for something to put some soft
cheese on and I grabbed a couple of rye crackers.  Partly I was thinking
"well, maybe it's wheat, not gluten" and partly, well, usually I can get away
with a couple crackers or even a piece of bread, no problem.

WELL, I tell you, I was astounded by the strength of the reaction.  A few
hours later, there came what I call my "classical gas" - very characteristic
feel and smell.  (And it feels *hot* coming out - is that weird or what?)  And
strong and continued for quite awhile.  It really brought me up short.  (And
isn't it paradoxical that I would get more of a reaction than when I was
eating a lot of gluten?  Can anyone explain this?)

This morning I hustled myself down to the health food store.  I've ordered
books from amazon.com.  And I'm not fooling around with my health any more.
It's not worth the risks.

I'm bummed though.  I went to a party this weekend and was feeling pretty
darned sorry for myself, looking at that table laden with wheat (or so it
seemed to me!).  I keep thinking of things I won't be able to eat - those good
cajun crab cakes my local market makes - on and on.  I'm definitely grieving
this.  But I think it's the right thing to do, and I am trying to focus on the
fact that all the evidence is that I will feel much better being GF.  And I
know that there is this whole group of caring people out there, who hopefully
won't mind my asking a ton of questions!  (Don't worry - I'm reading the
archives for all I'm worth, and half a ton have already been answered!)

First questions: 1) Does anyone know whether non-celiac gluten intolerance has
the same risks associated with it as CD?  Should I get my bone density
checked?

Has anyone with hypothyroid found that that the dosage of their thyroid
medication had to be altered after going GF?  Because for the first time ever,
my last round of blood tests showed me to be hyPERthyroid and we're lowering
my dose.  Now, my dose was pretty high, and now I'm thinking that it had to be
high because it wasn't being absorbed well.  And now it's being absorbed
better.  My level had been stable for 2 years before going GF.  Does this make
sense?

Thanks to everyone!!!