From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:39:32 -0500
Todd,

let me jump in and say that

1) Some raw fruits, like dates and bananas have a high glycemic index and
are pretty easy to eat in quantity. People eating excessive amounts of
fruit DO have problems of blood sugar.

2) I don't think there is anything wrong with eating 1/2 cauliflower.
Hunter-gatherers eat on average 65% calories from meat, and vegetables are
not calorie-dense (well, except tubers and nuts). H-Gs eat on average
about 100 grams fiber/day, which is 10 times more than the average
American, so I suppose it's quite a large volume.

3) The problem with modern foods is that they are higher in sugar and have
less fiber than wild foods, which contribute to increasing their glycemic
index. That's true for most fruits, as well as carrots and beets. Thus, we
have no choice but to make compromises, i.e. be moderate on these foods.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis