VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Johan Roos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 01:27:01 +0200
Ren Wang suggests that legal action should be the last resort.  Perhaps he
is right.  But perhaps blind people are nearer the last resort than they
realize.  Nobody who has the slightest understanding of the evolution of
minority rights in the modern constitutional state can seriously suggest
that blind people are one day, miraculously, going to talk society round to
see things our way.

Ren Wang suggests further that blind people ought all to subscribe to the
same philosophical standpoint with regard to the issue of discrimination
against the visually impaired.  Perhaps he did not mean to sound
totalitarian, but I very nearly interpreted his post in that manner.

Fair enough, we should be discussing these issues more frankly among
ourselves than we tend to do and yes, it would really be great if we could
all agree.  But what happens then if we all happen to be wrong?

Diffidently

JR