VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:15:49 +0100
Hi all,

   Bobby is a online service on the Internet, that checks a site if it is
accessible for disabled people.
If it is accessible you can get stars and put an icon on your site, that
your site is accessible.
I checked a number of sites, that are not accessable.
All of these sites got four stars and the icon!
A site with frames, without a noframes alternative gets four stars.
Clickable images without a text alternative get four stars and the icon!
A lot of people tried to make companies and organizations aware, that their
site was not accessible for all people.
With Bobby these companies and organizations can say "we are accessible" and
they can put the Bobby icon on their site.
Bobby gives warnings, that some people may have problems accessing the site,
but there is no decrease in stars.
If a site has frames and no noframes alternative it is not accessible. So,
in my opinion they never can get stars.
Bobby is not more than a program that checks an URL if every image has an
ALT tag and make people aware, that in some aspects some people have
problems accessing the site. But let they remove their stars and icon.
Please try out Bobby yourself and let me know what you find about it. If you
also do not agree with their stars and icon let them know it!
You can find boby at:
   http://www.cast.org/bobby/

Regards Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.plex.nl/~pverhoe/main2.html (The Screen Magnifiers