VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
dan dunfee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:00:40 -0500
hello,

there is no more important issue to all blind folk than the future of
equal access to computers and the employment they can make possible.
i have read with interest your messages about interaction with
microsoft.   microsoft continues to follow a course of patronizing us
with the "we arecommitted" and "we are concerned" and other such stone
walling trash.   now that the government and the larger public has become
more aware of the monopoly microsoft holds, i can see no better place for
the nfb to lead the way in a organized effort of legal action and public
demonstrations then right now.   ibm and sun are putting their efforts
where their mouths are by building speech into java as an intergral part
of development and not an after thought spin control band aid.   once
more we will be shafted if microsoft is allowed to diffuse the java
standards and pintch out that promising area of equal access.   the nfb
should be trumpeting as loudly and as often it's support for the java
effort and a clear, loud, very public, action of denouncing microsoft.
additionally, the nfb should put the bulk of it's governmental effert
into supporting regulation of microsoft and, more importantly, insistence
that all branches of government purchase and/or continue to use only fully
accessable software.   any effort short of these or equally public
actions will place the nfb squarely on the trailing edge of advocacy for
blind folk, more than anyother issue to this time.   i think we are at a
critical cross roads with regard to the ada and other legal foundations
for equal rights.   this is the only issue which can have the effect of
tilting the question of access firmly in the direction it needs to go and
the nfb will miss the boat and suffer the results of anything less than a
full out effort.   if something so basic as employment rights are left to
die on the vine, all other areas are equally in jepordy of death by
inattention by the government.   i, and i think the majority of those
following but not publicly speaking, anticipate with great interest; how the
nfb will turn on this matter.

sincerley,

dan dunfee