VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin Tibor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:49:05 -0800
After months fighting with my cellular service provider and the fact that I was
getting dropped 20 times a day my complaints continued to fall on deaf ears. It
wasn't until I promised a web site documenting exactly how poor their service
was that I recieved an offer to settle. It is sad that one must go to this
extreme to get a company to operate honorably. On the other hand I can testify
that this tactic is very effective. However, I am not sure if you aren't
opening yourself up to other types of litigation by using this method.

At 02:22 PM 1/10/99 -0600, Kelly Pierce wrote:
>Here's an option for those groups working on considering advocacy:  learn
>html and let the world find your issues online.  As the article shows, it
>really works.
>
>kelly
>
>   from the New York Times
>
>      January 8, 1999
>

> By CARL S. KAPLAN
>
>Unhappy Customers Find a Complaint Site Pays Off
>
>     It's a familiar tale: Joe Consumer gets poor service and complains
>     to the large company. But his gripes fall on deaf corporate ears,
>     and Joe gets no relief.
>
>     That could have been the script for George Musser Jr. and Talia
>     Schaffer, a couple who moved from San Francisco to Hoboken, N.J.,
>     last year with the help of Bekins Van Lines Co., then discovered
>     that some of their property had been damaged or lost in transit.
>
>     The couple did one thing that resulted in a happy ending for them,
>     however. After letters and phone calls to the company got them
>     nowhere, they set up a Web site (www.bekinsbeware.org) and posted
>     their story of woe. Their lawyer brought the site to the attention
>     of the moving company, and the couple's claim for $1,734 was
>     immediately settled in full -- on the condition that Musser and
>     Schaffer take down their gripe site.
>     _________________________________________________________________
>
>   Complaint sites have the potential to bring pressure on companies that
>   may not listen to small-fry consumers.
>     _________________________________________________________________
>
>     "The Net gives consumers a lot of leverage," said Herbert I.
>     Waldman, the couple's lawyer. "The Web site obviously motivated
>     Bekins."
>
>     Waldman was so pleased with his client's experience that he now
>     believes so-called complaint sites have the potential to become
>     effective legal tools to bring pressure on companies that may not
>     listen to, or settle the legitimate claims of, small-fry consumers.
>
>     "If you bring a suit to a cleaner and they do a lousy job, you can
>     seek damages and picket in front of the store," said Waldman, a
>     lawyer at Stern, Dubrow & Marcus in Maplewood, N.J. "Or you can go
>     to a newspaper and publicize your claim. But those perfectly
>     legitimate tactics have limited impact. Go on the Net, though, and
>     your speech capability is magnified."
>
>     Complaint sites where consumers air their beefs about large
>     companies have existed on the Web for several years. Among the many
>     examples are sites about the Walt Disney Co. and America Online.
>     Companies have targeted some complaint sites for legal action. So
>     far, however, no such sites are known to have been used by lawyers
>     when negotiating with companies on behalf of consumers.
>
>     Lawyers and experts on legal ethics agreed with Waldman that
>     complaint sites could be used in the future as bargaining chips in
>     settling claims.
>
>     Some lawyers warned that consumers who publish complaint sites run
> [...]

Marty Tibor
1 Stop Speech Recognition and Adaptive Technology Synapse
3095 Kerner Blvd., Suite S, San Rafael, CA  94901
toll-free 888-285-9988
http://www.synapseadaptive.com
Providers of adaptive and assistive technology solutions.
http://www.unixspeech.com
UNIX, mainframe and Mac speech recognition
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/default.htm
Synapse hosts the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Unofficial Information Pages