VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:04:24 +0800
TV based courses are essentially lecture classrooms with all the
disadvantages of a traditional classromm and few if any advantages.
Though, you may be correct that the exact form of computer based distance
learning may, and almost certainly will evolve, it does not compare to the
TV based courses of the seventies.  First off, the basic concept of
distance learning is no longer new or unproven.  It has proven very popular
in some areas, particularly in the west.  The college for which I work was
originally started as a distance learning institution 20 years ago, and has
evolved into one of the foremost computer based distance learning
institutions.  It has enabled students to shape the learning schedule
around their lives.  A student here never has to wait more than two weeks
to start courses.  Over half of our FTSE is now through this system.  It
seems to have particular application in continuing education among employed
people, and in my opinion, has real potential for disabled students who
experience real problems with transportation and accessible materials.  In
the western states where the distances are great, distance learning is
working well.  The main detractors have been educators of a more
traditional mind set who believe the class room is the only worthy venu for
teaching.  I have been surprised that the various disability groups have
not pushed harder for inclusion and development in an area that hold so
much promise.

Bill Pasco

VICUG-L ARCHIVES     http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html