VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 00:10:10 -0400
Maybe one of the best things that disabled people can do is pretend that
the negative statistics don't exist. I mean, what if we naively goabout
our lives and go on job interviews. You may not get the job, but the
interviewer may admire your pluck. And maybe when the third or fourth
disabled shows up for an interview, that interviewer will get the idea
that we're not anomalies. We're ... Peter, Kelley, Kathy, Bill, etc. and
we've got something to offer them. In a sense, our presence will make
people more comfortable with us, while we'll demonstrate that we're here
to stay.

When any one of us performs with excellence at our jobs, or shows up at an
interview with a positive attitude, we're actually laying the
psychological groundwork for some other disabled person to be looked upon
favorably. We can create a positive prejudice for each other.

Peter Seymour