VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 16:27:48 -0800
----- Forwarded Message Follows -----

From: "Michael D. Lawler" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      WE 2.1 has been released

I am pleased to announce the release of Window-Eyes version 2.1.  Version
2.1 is packed with new features and enhancements.  As many of you may know,
we have been offering public betas, which are pre-releases of 2.1, for the
last several months.  We have been receiving enormous feedback from those
users who chose to work with the beta copies.  We have listened to those
users and incorporated many of their suggestions.  After all, who knows
better of what a screen reader should and should not do?  Some of the new
features include:
-) Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) support has been fully
incorporated.  Microsoft has been working hard to develop a standard that
main stream applications can use which allow adaptive applications such as
Window-Eyes access to the application program.  As time passes, more and
more applications will support this technology and Window-Eyes will be
ready.  We are working hand in hand with Microsoft as this technology evolves.
Currently applications such as Office 97 and Internet Explorer 3.0x support
MSAA.  We have taken this new ability to its limits with Internet Explorer
3.0x.  Remember those very difficult to read WEB pages?  Those with lots of
columns and frames.  Window-Eyes 2.1 offers a new MSAA Application Mode.
This gives extensive control for those applications that are supported.
Internet Explorer 3.0x is the first of such programs.  The integration of
Window-Eyes 2.1 and Internet Explorer 3.0x makes reading WEB pages
extremely simple.  Once you see how these two programs work with the WEB,
you'll finally feel welcomed to the wonderful world of the Internet.
-) Many users of Window-Eyes were not comfortable with our previous
keyboard layout.  This layout was mnemonic and resembled the layout in
Vocal-Eyes.  However, many of the keystrokes would conflict with Windows 95
and/or the application programs.  We therefore listened to our users and
did an extensive review of a new layout and proposed it to many of our
existing users.  After several revisions, we have standardized on a new
layout this is still very intuitive but doesn't conflict with other
applications.  This new layout has received great praise from our beta
testers.  However, those of you that really liked the old layout can easily
change it back.  Also, those with laptops can easily change to a layout
this is suited for the layout typically found on laptop keyboards.  And of
course, you still have the ability to change the layout to your exact
liking with our simple hotkey dialog.
-) A new auto speak tool tips option has been added which when enabled will
automatically speak tool tips as the mouse moves over graphic images.
-) A new hot key that will give you access to the Windows 95 systray has
been added.  This dialog scans the systray and puts a list of the items
found in a list box.  It allows you to single or double click the left or
right mouse buttons on any of the options in the systray.
Many blind people don't even know the systray exists simply because there
was no easy access to it in the past.  With most screen readers, you are
forced to grope around the systray with the mouse pointer and try to get it
to work.  With Window-Eyes 2.1, it is all automatic and very simple.
-) A new hot key that will read the default button in a dialog has been added.
-) A Select Synthesizer dialog has been added to the file menu.  This
feature will let you switch among synthesizers on the fly.   This means you
can now easily switch between all the synthesizers that Window-Eyes
supports.  The last synthesizer you used will be the default when you next
start Window-Eyes.
-) A drag and drop hotkey has been added.  The first time you press this
hotkey it will say "mark."  It will remember where the mouse was when you
pressed it and the next time you press the key it will prompt you with a
dialog that allows you to either drop what you marked or place a new mark.
This hotkey allows you to easily drag and drop items or highlight large
amounts of text.
-) We have added support for the Keynote Gold Multi-Media, DECtalk
Access32, SMP, FlexTalk, and SSIL synthesizers.  You can use the SSIL
option to use Window-Eyes with any of the SSIL synthesizer drivers which
will allow you to run Window-Eyes with Open Book and other applications
that use SSIL to produce their own speech.
-) The ability to automatically shutdown Window-Eyes has been added.  This
is used for dedicated talking applications such as Open Book.  Of course
once you leave Open Book (even if you just alt-tab away) Window-Eyes will
automatically start up again.
-) Index numbers have been added to radio buttons so you can tell how many
radio buttons are in a group.  You can control this feature with the top
bottom index, and current index settings in the verbosity miscellaneous menu.
-) Window-Eyes now tells you the depth you are in for a treeview.  It also
tells you which item in the branch you are on and when you expand a branch
it tells you how many items are in it.  Finally, when you use the speak
summary hotkey it tells you the names of each level in the tree starting
from the top and ending with the current level.
-) Window-Eyes 2.1 has been greatly optimized for speed.  You will find
Window-Eyes 2.1 to be one of the most responsive Windows screen readers.
-) Stability has always been a big concern with Windows users.  We have
gone to great strides to make Window-Eyes extremely stable.
-) Window-Eyes 2.1 still works with all video systems on the market.  You
are not forced to purchase a lower end video card or disable the enhanced
features of your high-end card.  If your video card works with Windows 95,
it works with Window-Eyes.
-) A new tape tutorial explaining the basics of Window-Eyes has been
created and ships with every copy of Window-Eyes including the upgrades.
Many of you may be familiar with the "Speaking Of" tutorials produced by
CrissCross Technologies.  CrissCross Technologies is in the business of
creating tutorials for blind people and does a very professional job.  We
therefore went to CrissCross for the production of this tutorial.  We are
sure you will find it invaluable.
The list of features and enhancements goes on and on.  If you upgrade from
an older version of Window-Eyes you will receive a readme file that gives
an extensive list of changes including bug fixes since version 2.0.  I'm
sure you will be impressed.
Window-Eyes 2.1 still sells for $595.00.  If you currently own a copy of
Vocal-Eyes 3.0, you receive a $100.00 discount bringing the price of
Window-Eyes to $495.00.
If you currently own Window-Eyes 2.0, you can upgrade to 2.1 free of
charge.  That's right FREE!  Shipping charges apply to locations outside of
the United States.  This free upgrade is limited until July 1st, 1998.  If
you wish to receive the upgrade you can either down load it from our ftp
site or give us a call.  The ftp address is:
ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21.zip
If you are using the Everlock version (used outside of the U.S.) the
address is:
ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21evl.zip
If you are using the Dongle version (used outside of the U.S.) the address is:
ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21dmh.zip
This upgrade must be installed over a working 2.0 copy.  If you install it
without a working 2.0 copy, it will not function.
If you currently own a version of Window-Eyes less than version 2.0, you
can upgrade to 2.1 for $75.00 plus shipping.  This upgrade must be ordered
from GW Micro and can not be downloaded.
All 2.1 upgrades come with a new set of diskettes and a tape tutorial.  The
diskettes contain the 2.1 manual and can be read using your favorite word
processor.  If you wish to receive a 2.1 print and/or tape manual, the cost
is $10.00 per format.
For complete information, please give your local GW Micro dealer a call or
feel free to contact GW Micro directly.
GW Micro, Inc.
725 Airport North Office Park
Fort Wayne, IN  46825
(219) 489-3671
email: [log in to unmask]
Michael D. Lawler
FIDO Michael.Lawler at 1:236/55 Voice 219-489-3671
Fax 219-489-2608 BBS 219-489-5281
Internet [log in to unmask]
GW Micro, Inc., Product Support and Development