From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 17:02:34 -0400
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Gregg Carter wrote:

> Adele, you really should look at Artemis Simopoulos's THE OMEGA PLAN . . .
> it offers very convincing evidence that humans need omega 3 essential
> fatty acids in at least a 1:4 (if not 1:1) ratio with omega 6 fatty acids.

This is consistent with S. Boyd Eaton's view as well.

> Fatty ocean fish (salmon; mackerel; sardines), greens (a la kale, spinach,
> red lettuce, arrugula), walnuts, wild game (that doesn't feed off of
> farmers' corn fields), canola oil, flax seed (including flax seed oil),
> and The Country Hen eggs (because the chickens are fed flax seed)
> are the basic sources available to most of us.

There are other brands of w-3 eggs in the U.S., including
Spectrum, which contain .5g of w-3 fat per egg.

Note that w-3 fats are found mostly in the form of ALA
(alpha-linoleic acid, aka linolenic acid or LNA) in plants and
EPA in animals.  This is because the animals eat the ALA and
convert it to EPA, as we do too.  There is some reason to think
that it's better to get w-3 fats in the form of EPA, or at least
a mixture of the two.  This means fish or fish oil for most of us
who don't have wild game available often.

> She observes that the type of saturated
> fat found in dairy products differs in chemical structure from the
> saturated fat found in meat, with the former seeming to be much more
> correlated with ill-effects on health that the latter.

Dairy products, even the low-fat ones, contain the protein
casein, which tends to inhibit the function of LDL receptors in
the liver, preventing the reuptake of LDL cholesterol, making the
situation even worse.

Todd Moody