From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 01:06:25 -0400
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> Meanwhile i read much about the opioid in grains issue.
> For example in the "vegan-straight-edge" site mentioned by Todd.
> That would provide one reason to use grains instead of roots.
> Hmmm
> I never noticed any kind of opioid-like effect of grains though.
> What could it be like?
> Any suggestions?

The premise is that the grain proteins, the gliadins, have
opiate-like effects when they enter the bloodstream.  This should
not happen if they are completely digested.  But if for some
reason they are not completely digested, and if for some reason
the intestinal lining is not intact, they could then pass into
the blood.  Effects could include mental fog, agitation,
withdrawal, or craving for more grains, I suppose.

In addition, the lectins in the grains may actually cause the
intestinal lining to be compromised, as in celiac disease.

Todd Moody