From:
EllaLane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 02:23:00 EDT

<< I wonder why some foods are excluded: Squash (is it all winter squash? Is
 pumpkin ok?) Also, turnips and beets?? And sweet potatoes?  >>
The squashes that are inedible raw are out.  I don't think you can really eat
pumpkin and winter squash raw.  Same with the others, although I think you can
with sweet potatoes, but it is a neolithic crop and was not cultivated during
the paleolithic period.  The diet is based upon natural food that was not
domesticated by man.  I believe squashes, legumes, grains, and potatoes were
introduced after man had started agriculture and was not found in the wild for
ready consumption before that.

<But what about olives and olive oil? Or how about canola oil??>
I believe olives are a fruit, thus can be eaten raw.  Canola oil is a
processed oil that is altered by technology for consumption.
< Do you think there is any particular problem
using tabasco or louisiana hot sauce? They (and other condiments) contain
vinegar, but in the quantities eaten, does it really make that much
difference.>
I personally found that products with vinegar in it made me crave more sugar
for some reason.  It took away from the taste of the natural state of the food
so I didn't really appreciate the wholesome flavor of food in its pure state.
I guess for me I prefer to go unrefined as possible or I start to slide off
the bandwagon.  There are spices that can replace the zest of tabasco sauce,
just experiment!  That's the funnest part!

<I'm also in need of breakfast suggestions. Maybe some ideas for fruit
smoothie
recipes. I'm going to try some concoctions this weekend -- I went out and
bought a whole coconut and a can of coconut milk to experiment with.>
My favorites are bacon with everything and anything.  You can also broil pork
chops and have apple sauce with it.  I love nuts and fruit with coconut milk,
whether you blend it as a smoothie, or just chop everything up into a salad
and pour coconut milk over it.  Coconut milk is one of my favorite ingredients
on the Neanderthin diet because I can replace cream and milk with it, and
that's something I would have had a hard time living without.  Also, coconut
milk seems to soothe my digestive system and helps me stay regular.  (To me
that's a big benefit.)  The fat in coconut milk is supposed to be very good
for you, so I'm going to try to find some coconut fat to cook with next.

Hope my suggestions help.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ella