From:
Wolfson440 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:16:03 EDT

<< > compounds by-products; or they are hulled by soaking them (cashews for
 > instance) in such a strong toxic substance that the workers who handle them
 > after immerson in this stuff get burns and sores on their hands unless they

         Eeeew! Well, I won't buy those tommorrow! >>

Actually, it is a compound in the skin (shell) of the cashew that has the
toxic substance. So they have to be specially soaked to get at the edible nut
inside.

For more information on nuts, check the archives. I recently came across a
post there from Ward Nicholson where he posted an article on how nuts are
processed. I think it was posted in May or June 1997 (?)
Michelle