From:
Linda Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:48:06 -0700
Hello Paleo Eaters,
I am new on this list, and have some questions that have probably already
been discussed, but if you don't mind I'd enjoy hearing your feedback on a
few certain foods:

Corn:  is corn an acceptable paleo food?  I know it is a common allergen.
I also remember taking a trip to England ten years ago, where someone told
me that corn is considered animal feed and not human food.  If that is
true, it is very different from the United States, where corn is quite a
staple.

Potatoes:  I read somewhere that potatoes are not paleo.  Is this because
they need to be cooked?  I know that potatoes have been a staple food in
Ireland for a long time, but maybe not long enough for our genes to evolve?

Eggs:  another common allergen.  Are they paleo?

This paleolithic diet information is quite new to me (the last month or so)
but it certainly agrees with my own experiences.  I tried vegatarian diets
a few times, for a month or more, but always felt terrible.  I don't
tolerate legumes or dairy products well, and always had digestive problems
eating that way.  My own conclusion, before I had heard of the paleo diet,
was that I must not be genetically designed for a vegetarian diet.  My
ancestors were in the UK, so I know they ate a lot of meat and few
vegetables.  I don't even like most vegetables--it is a huge effort to eat
them!

There is such a trend toward vegetarianism these days, probably based on
theory rather than history.  Maybe some people are genetically designed to
eat that way, depending on where their ancestors lived, but I certainly am
not.  When I began eating more protein and fewer carbohydrates, I lost
unwanted weight like magic, no matter how much fat I was eating (eggs,
nuts, nut butters, ghee, salmon, etc.)

I would like to hear from anyone with feedback on the above foods, or
experiences similar to mine.  It's kind of amazing when you discover that
what works for you is so different from what the current trends suggest!
So very, very different!

Thanks, Linda