From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:48:18 -0500
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Kaiden Fox wrote:

> As this is the only diet that human being have naturally evolved to eat,
> only genetic freaks of nature like Todd have to worry about stuff.  (He has
> to eat soy to control his cholestoral).

Have you forgotten about Karsten Andersen?  Another genetic
mishap, possibly?

At the risk of sounding strident, it remains controversial
whether human beings naturally evolved eating a high-fat --
especially saturated fat -- diet.  Certainly Boyd Eaton and Loren
Cordain think otherwise, and they are not amateurs to this field.
The indisputable fact is that a person on an allegedly
paleolithic diet that makes use primarily of cooked supermarket
meats is in dietary territory that is far different from what
humans evolved to eat, almost as different as the diet of the
animals that they are eating is from what *they* evolved to eat.

Another point to consider is that we simply don't know how many
people there might be who, like myself, experience deterioration
of blood lipids on a high sat-fat diet.  Atkins' comments suggest
that it could be a substantial number, but of course he allows
dairy fats on his program.  Your comment implies that this
response is rare, but it may be fairly common.

Sadly, we will probably be waiting a long time for controlled
studies of diets such as Neanderthin.  In the meantime, we are
stuck with lots of guesswork and personal experimentation.

Todd Moody