From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:12:00 -0400
John Pavao wrote:

> Why do you do this (let the eggs sit for two weeks at room temperature)?
> I've never heard of that.  What does it do?

For the same reason that I let my meat or fish age a few days before
eating (raw). The theory is that humans, before hunting game, had been
scavenging dead animals for a long time, probably several million years.
That's why we are more adapted to aged meat than fresh. Our gastric juice
is less acidic than the one of carnivorous animals, and aged meat is more
digestible because, in the process, proteins are broken down (the meat
becomes more tender), and the taste becomes much more appealing.

Aging eggs does the same (pre-digestion of egg proteins). Once I have
tried them, I don't want to eat fresh eggs anymore.

[All those considerations are of course relevant to raw-fooders. Cooking
probably results in similar, but not identical, chemical reactions].

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis