NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dina Dror <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:08:53 EDT
Hi,

I am a Kosher consumer that is allergic to dairy and wheat among a million
other things. :-))  I can tell you that if a product is labeled Kosher and
Pareve, then it contains no dairy at all. Pareve means that the food is
neutral and can be eaten with both a meat and dairy meal for religious
reasons. We don't mix the two together in any form. Yes, there are times when
a product is mislabeled and there are ways of finding out by reading the
label and getting Kashrut magazines and newsletters.

There are ice creams out there that are Kosher and pareve for those who can
eat soy-based products such as Tofutti.  however I don't know if they are
made on separate machines or not since some of them contain gluten and wheat
so I don't know if that would be a problem for those of you like myself who
are allergic to both. :-)) Mocha Mix is another company that is Kosher and
Pareve, but it contains some wheat stuff.

Hope this helps,

Dina

If a product has a label that says Kosher, DE that means that dairy equipment
was used to manufacture the stuff so there can be traces of milk or
milk-byproducts in the food so this one would not be eaten with a meat meal
in many Kosher homes.

Many brands of Tuna for example are labeled OU D. This is because the
hydrolyzed protein that is used contains dairy so for those of you that are
LI, this may or may not cause a problem, for those that are allergic to all
forms of dairy, it would be a problem.

Milk chocolate is something I miss too from time to time, but since there are
many out there that are pareve that aren't too bad, I will survive.