NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:13:39 -0800
> From: Kimberly Sherwood
>
> I don't want to start World War III, but I am tired of
everyone coming home
> from her house sick.  I guess from now on I will have to
bring our own food
> when we go there.  But then she will get very upset and
insist she doesn't use
> milk or butter.  AARRGGHH!!!
>
> Do any of you have a relative like this?  How did you
deal with it?

Yes - my MIL, who is never sick, can eat anything she wants
and thinks I'm overly protective of my severely milk
protein-allergic child.  The first Christmas we spent at
her house she put butter on the turkey, butter & milk in
the mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, used bread made
with milk for dressing, made pumpkin pie with milk . . .
the only things the child could eat were cranberry sauce
and green beans (only because I grabbed some out of the pot
before she put the butter in).

It's 10 years later - and this Christmas she used Crisco to
baste the turkey, used milk-free bread for stuffing, made a
cherry pie (crust by Crisco), mashed potatoes with turkey
broth and milk-free margarine.  He ate everything on the
table, hugged her and told her she was a wonderful cook.

How did she change?  Well, she ate out with us once.  We
went to a restaurant we'd been to before and we knew what
he could eat.  He ate quite happily, and I was relaxed,
talking to my DH when I heard my son gasp and cough and
turned around to see her spooning cherry cobbler with ice
cream into his mouth.  "I only gave him the part without
ice cream," she insisted as I ran with him under my arm to
the car for the epinephrine.  He was gasping and turning
blue by the time I got there - gave him the shot with him
sitting on her lap - he promptly threw up all over her when
he could get a breath (and I smiled inside, you deserve
this!).  For the rest of her visit she kept saying, "There
couldn't have been that much ice cream in that spoonful of
cobbler."  I kept answering, "It only takes a molecule or
two to kill him."

Now she's very careful!

psam

Motherhood - not just a job, it's an Adventure!