NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:05:47 -0500
>>From what I've read, no one really "outgrows" a dairy allergy.  What can
>happen is the original syptoms go away and the doc thinks the child has
>outgrown the allergy.  Then, other symptoms or illness appear, and many times
>no one realizes it is the old dairy allergy rearing it's head.  I know of a
>lot of adults who "used to be allergic" when they were kids, went back to
>eating it, and ended up with all kinds of problems, such has ulcerative
>colitis, asthma, sinus infections, irritable bowel, etc.

My childhood symptoms were mild, tolerable, and essentially unrecognized:
gas, chronic constipation, allergic rhinitis, mild asthma. In my late teens
I developed a dairy-allergy-induced rheumatoid arthritis that sent me to
the hospital twice and had me essentially crippled and taking
gastrointestinally-nasty NSAIDs for years. When the dairy allergy was
identified, I went into permanent remission, and have been ever since. I
used to be able to cheat a bit (and suffer the consequences) but eventually
developed a full-blown type 1 allergy (anaphylaxis, respiratory distress,
etc.) and now must be completely dairy free.

I have since had a son born with anaphylactic allergy to dairy (he's now
almost 12). We don't expect him to outgrow his.

>Point is, humans
>were never intended to drink the milk of another mammal in the first place!

Or milk from our own species. Oops - gotta go - mom's expecting me home for
lunch ;-)

Mark

Mark Feblowitz