NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:01:15 -0800
>Hi, this is my first posting.  I am working on a brochure for
children wh=
>cannot drink cow's milk for a variety of reasons.   I am interested
in
>whether products such as egg substitute, flour or corn tortillas,
and pit=
>bread may contain casein or other milk proteins.  Can anyone answer
this
>one? Can anyone refer me to a resource?

========
Corn tortillas are generally safe.  Flour tortillas, which used to be
flour, lard,
salt and water, are now being adulterated with all kinds of things to
make them
acceptable and longer-lived.  You reallly have to read the labels on
them.
Most egg substitutes contain milk.  Some pitas contain milk.  A lot
of hot
dogs nowadays contain milk protein (particularly the chicken or
turkey low-fat
ones).  You gotta read labels!  Also, you  can't trust one reading -
this week the
brand may be ok, in a couple of weeks they may have changed the
formula.

A good source to check into is Helen Fernety's web site - Non Dairy -
Something to
Moo About.  I think the address is :

http://non-dairy.org/

psam

"Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do it."