CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:58:52 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Cameras at work will not be used to increase your safety - if you work in a
 similar situation to me, or to almost anyone I know, it's the *workers* who
 notice unsafe things, and then report them to management, where they are
 dutifully ignored.  I've been in places where there are exceptions to this
 rule, but not many.

This is VERY true.  If the person monitoring the cameras does not report or
more typically does not recognize danger, then the cameras are useless.

 <This is kind of alarming.  Let's say, *hypothetically*, I smoke marijuana
 at home, after work hours.  Traces of dope will remain in my blood for
 about three weeks, or so I've heard.  So, if I've smoked dope at any stage
 in the past three weeks before my blood test, I'll lose my job.  Is dope a
 "serious problem"?  If you accept that cigarettes are, then dope is, but
 surely it isn't?  What right does a government have to regulate what I can
 and can not put into my body?>

Cigarettes and marijuana pose a similar threat as carcinogens. But, marijuana
involves several 'scenes.' The buying, possession, and use of marijuana may
create dangerous situations with sellers, with police, and with fellow users.
All three situations involve an increased risk of violence.  Marijuana does
cause a physiological reaction which impairs perception and judgement, and may
lead to
violence.  Let's face it, people who are high are a lot more sensitive. As for
alcohol,
forget about it.