CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 20:14:58 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What are your thoughts in regards to our rights relating to government
 surveillance? >>

Cameras on the job and drug testing at work are ok with me as I believe they
contribute to the health and safety of everyone.  Things that bother me are

1). any kind of cataloguing and evaluating of internet activities

2). the inappropriate use of weapons by police during criminal investigations
where unarmed "suspects" are shot and killed!!!  which could be considered as
a kind of overt surveillance policy

3). gerrymandering of electoral districts and manipulation of property values
including
accessibility to loans through data gathering efforts

4). the use of criminal records to limit employment opportunities within and
without the government, especially in cases where no charges were sustained.