BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:00:28 -0500
Lawrence Kestenbaum wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Ian Evans wrote:
>
> > Can anyone suggest where this person can find blueprints or exterior
> > drawings for his Sears house?  Reply either to the list or direct to Rod
> > Paille, as you wish.
>
> Perhaps it has already been said, but though Sears kit houses have
> captured the imagination of preservation folks all over the country, Sears
> was not the only nor even the largest purveyor in the trade during that
> era.  "Sears house" and "kit house" are not synonyms, and we should pay
> some attention to the competitors, like Alladin.  At least a couple of
> them worked out of Bay City, Michigan.
>
> Rob Krueger at EMU has done quite a bit of work on this topic.
>
>                                Larry Kestenbaum

Larry, you meant to refer to Rob Schweitzer, not Rob Kreuger, and I
think he teaches at U. of Toledo and not EMU.

I am from Bay City, and there were at one time 7 kit house manufacturers
operating at a time.  I think the last to die was Acorn.  When I lived
in Pennsylvania, I learned that the first house that the Kaufmann family
put up at Bear Run was a kit house - Alladin - from Bay City.  It is
long gone, with all remnants of the camp atmosphere that pre-dated
Fallingwater.

Ilene