BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:35:12 -0700
Rudy Christian wrote:

> After
> I supplied her with what must have been a few too many details, she rolled her
> eyes and said " The only way for me (to give birth) is the "normal" way. Take
> me to the hospital. Knock me out, and show me the baby when I wake up!"
>
> It doesn't take many generations to forget.

I think also that generations tend to forget faster when they lose the bonding
that occurs with a natural childbirth. I consider it unfortunate if one outcome of
too much schooling, or the emphasis on the monetary rewards of a career, is to
separate people from realizing that bearing and raising kids is a valuable and
honorable profession. There should be nothing wrong with simply wanting to be a
mom and dad, or considering that it is a life well spent. Our son, in college his
first year, is currently rooming with a kid that has been his entire life in
boarding schools, and even now never goes home.

It was a funny scene on the first day in the dorm when the kid's mother showed up
and commandeered all the dresser, closet and under bed space leaving our son to
two feet of shelf in the closet. His reaction was calm at the time, he has since
taken to playing very strange music (Mad Clown Posse) and his roomate leaves the
room entirely. I expressed, once, my opinion on the line between social experiment
and cruelty. But then, again, I was happy to see him reading Charles Bukowski,
loaned from a long lost gradeschool friend now at the college, and his not
realizing that it was in the house around him since he was merely a conception.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/~orgrease