BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 20:31:15 -0500
> From: ARWNY <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Value of Humours
> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997 10:55 AM
>
> In a message dated 97-12-15 13:44:25 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > A few of my clients have critiqued me as being much too serious. I must
> learn
> >  more about using this tool of humor.

The problem with using humor as a tool is that if you change your
presentation of self you might appease the clients mentioned above, but
you'll probably alienate a hole other group who will think to themselves
that they aren't paying you to be funny. If they wanted funny they would
have stayed home and watched 3 stooges re-runs.

Its no joke trying to figure out who among those you encounter appreciate
levity and who are turned off by it. I just love the glazed look and the
lost client when I indulge my humorous side with the wrong person.

Interestingly, without my even being aware of it, I seem to establish a
persona with someone for no apparent reason and stick with it forever.

I once got a really odd phone visit from to friends who had first met each
other through me. They walked into my shop and demanded to know whether I
thought myself a "funny" person or not. HUH?

It seems that they were gossiping around the back of the pick-up and one of
them commented that I was one of the funniest people he knew. The other guy
didn't know what the hell he was talking about. It wasn't that the second
guy had no sense of humor, since they were both laughing themselves silly
when they walked into the shop. Its just that on some instinctive level I
chose to present myself differently to each.

Haven't the foggiest notion why.