BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:51:05 -0500
>All of which is to say that most of the time most of us know full well what
>the other guy means in the sense that the limits of our own internal
>language structures evolve to be inclusive (savvy) of the possibilities of
>meaning, and we intuitively filter utterances for the most likely
>situational and contextual meaning. Failure rate 30%+ or - 3%.
>Operationally acceptable, or we join Wittgenstein and shut up.

Regrettably, the savvyness of our public is declining at a precipitous pace
as television saps the thought processes of its third generation.  To wit:

At this weekend's 27th annual Oakwood Candlelight Tour, I had the
inestimable pleasure of being host for the Art Deco-clad living room of
Greg and Madonna's 1994 two story, Arts & Crafts, Charleston side hall
infill wonder palace.  The sorrowful looks of sympathy I received for the
tragic tale of Greg's grandmother's untimely passing would wrench your
heart right out of your chest.  You see her youthful portrait over the
mantle, twenties deco with the beaded hair net?  Perhaps you can see the
familial resemblence, with the dimpled chin.  Greg's grandmother was a
flapper in the vaudeville era, died tragically at 36 when the long scarf
she was wearing became entangled in the wire spokes of her Stutz Bearcat
convertable.  Many of the Art Deco pieces you see in the room are family
heirlooms he inherited from her.

And of course, you know how Oakwood is known for preservation...well, that
applies to more than just the buildings, you see.  The two deco wall
sconces over there?  They were purchased at the 1920 Paris World's Fair.
By Madonna.  Isn't she well preserved herself?  We think that it's the
ambiance of the genteel lifestyle of the neighborhood that makes it
possible for people to age so gracefully.

On your way out, be sure to take notice of the stylistically-matching
garden house they just finished in the backyard about a month ago.  Greg
and Madonna lived in there while the house was being built.  Being
authentic restorationists, they used a real outhouse while the work was
underway.

Yep, I told some real "loo-loos."

Dan Becker,  Executive Director              "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                       from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                               - Bullwinkle J. Moose