Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Cecilia Thornton-Egan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:18:21 +1000
Thanks for the details of expert pemmican-making, Sam. I shall be sure to
follow your directions next time I make it. The dog won't be too happy
about it...

HANS WROTE (RE CENTENARIANS)
>Probably it is their actual diet of today, not what they have
>eaten the last 100 years, wich is what we want to know...

Hans, I agree with this point. For years I have been studying my family
tree and family history, with particular reference to my grandparents'
generation. These days that generation eats convenience foods.  BAck in the
first half of this century they grew their own vegetables and fruit trees
in their back yards, and they kept chickens in coops. As a child I recall
wading through what seemed then to be patches of giant pumpkins and silver
beet, I recall picking berries off the briars which were trained along the
garden walls of my grandparents' house, and seeing the pantry shelves
stocked to the roof with home-preserved home-grown fruit. They were brought
up on fresh, organically grown foodstuffs.  However, they did use a lot of
sugar for making jams.

HANS ALSO WROTE - No problem with the world around me,
>just the inside, which seems to be continuously hungry. If I avoid eating
>in the morning I can wait till lunch, but at that time my hunger is
>terrible.  As soon as I start eating, I can't stop. It feels like if
>someone should try to stop me from eating, I would get violent. And the
>food should be dense: meat fat, fruit, nuts. Lettuce is nothing.
>
>- Hans

RE WEIGHT LOSS -
The body's normal digestive patterns follow a circadian rhythm. Gastric
juices will be produced primarily in the morning and again later at around
5 pm. Individuals may vary - I would advise trying to get in touch with the
way your own body's pattern works.  It sounds as though your body might be
in "Famine Mode", Hans. Try this -
A) WHen you eat, eat slowly and chew thoroughly.  EAt sitting down.  MAke
it a relaxed meal, preferably with all the trimmings (eg tablecloth).  Let
your BRAIN know you have dined, not just your stomach, pancreas etc.  STart
with a full plate, don't pick bits from here and there.  Admire the food.
(That was the psychological part.)
B) Try having a large, satisfying breakfast.  If you do eat (slowly) until
you are satisfied, this will begin to turn off the Famine Mode your body
has slipped into.  Then eat another satisfying meal later in the day when
that second hunger clicks in.
It may take a few days or weeks but you have to let your body know that it
can get enough food at least once a day and does not need to be in famine
mode. When that happens, you will feel a change.  You will no longer be
thinking of food all the time (as I bet you are now) - and you will not
experience that terrible devouring hnger.  Then your body will begin tom
"let go" of the fat it has been holding on to so grimly, and gradually
allow it to be burned as energy.

TODD WROTE:
>For example, I have resumed karate training after a 5-year lapse.
>This involves a lot of high-intensity fast-twitch muscle work.
>It is pointless (and dangerous) to attempt this on
>glycogen-depleted muscles, so I have to increase my carb intake a
>bit, but cautiously.  If I do it right, the net result will be
>some further fat loss.  If I screw it up...

Todd, why is it dangerous?

from Cecilia.