Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 06:11:05 -0700
Dear List,

I continue to get warnings about a keto diet.

I am giving my son mostly pemmican  (dried turkey with coconut oil), some
pork rinds with almond butter, and a small amont of vegetables, like kale,
very little fruit if any. I also made elk pemmican which went down ok, next
I am going to try to get fresh ground ostrich. I have found that ground meat
is very easy to use to make pemmican, thanks to Hans and others on this list.

Doesn't pemmican contain most trace biochemicals needed?

Also, diarrhea has stopped for 7 days in a row, a record.

Isn't he getting more micronutrients when not bothered by diarrhea?

I do small supplementation of vitamin A, B complex, C, D, E, and some multi
minerals, and a small additonal amount of potassium due to the low carb diet.

I am convinced the fats and proteins are the most digestible and the least
attractive to yeast and bacteria.

I tried a "trial" of beef and he still can't tolerate it.

I am also trying to locate MCT oil.

Most people I have asked, say coconut oil is not a problem, that the hexane
would be used on non food grades.

Thank you to all, for helping me to recover a child's brain. It is in there,
just have to get it out from all the toxins of the yeast/bacteria, and to
also be mindful of antibodies that are still there, like to beef. I "lost"
him yesterday with my beef trial. I was hopeful that after all this time he
could have it once in awhile, but no. There was so much damage to the
intestines that beef molecules went up and crossed the blood brain barrier
and created antibodies to  beef protein. The gut is still (STILL) leaky and
not healed.

I would love any other suggestions for doing a paleo, keto diet.

Moira

Below is a post from a parent on another list---

The ketogenic diet is far more extreme than any fad diet; it is
important to ensure that various trace biochemicals that would be
present in a normal diet are supplemented in the ketogenic diet.  Also,
the objective of the diet is to achieve ketosis, in which the metabolism
of the body is operating in a non standard mode, otherwise only found
during fasting.  These things create medical risk far beyond any fad
diet.

Potentially the diet should be applicable to people of any age, although
most experience is with younger children.  The older the child, the more
he will be aware of the restrictions imposed by the diet, although
conversely, the more you can give him explicit motivation.  Probably the
majority of children on the diet are aged around 6.

Good luck.