Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 06:40:53 -0800
Jean Louis Tu wrote:
>I am wondering about the long-term consequences of having a too monotonous
diet.
>Certainly, paleo humans had much more variety than one or two kinds of
(muscle)
>meat. In particular, their diet included a variety of meats, organs (like
>liver), vegetables, tubers, etc.

 I share this concern. Organ meats are quite different nutritionally, and
were widely eaten by HG's. The Shoshone made do for long periods on rodents
and small mammals, but they ate all of it. The also ate some pretty fibrous
plants.

I'm trying to use more organ meats for my family. The easiest  and most
available is beef liver, and chicken livers. Most recipes call for breading
them, but I have had delicious results from marinating in oil and lemon
juice, (or for a non observant paleoperson, whole milk, which is rinsed
prior to cooking.) Then sauté them in a fair amount of olive oil, HOT, for a
short while. Beef liver about 3/8 " thick is done in 2 minutes per side. The
chicken livers I divide in two before cooking. Then sauté some onions, and
combine the meat with the onions just before serving. Beef heart is good
too, and especially good as a shisk kebob ingredient. I also fix kidney and
sweetbreads(pancreas), but they are more trouble, and also harder to find in
the supermarket. Sweetbreads are so good, that some of my kids have
requested them as a birthday dinner!

Yours,

Michael