From:
ROBERT MATHEWS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 01:09:27 -0500

Hello everyone, I posted the other day about my bout with adenocarcinoma
of the duodenum (yes this was a cancerous tumor) and how I was still
getting a burning in my skin (feels like salt water running through
it).  My skin also is starting to break out in weltz which I had all my
life (dermagraphia) they said was going from the hot to cold
temperatures.  My scalp is being affected with sores.  Well now I know I
am still getting gluten because in one of the support groups shopping
guides they list milky way LITES as being okay.  A while back I bought a
bag, checked the ingredients and they looked fine.  Recently I bought
another bag threw them in the cupboard and have half the bag eaten and
just now noticed there is malt in them.  I have also eaten honey baked
ham at my sister's on the holidays.  Either I am not being strict enough
but I would like to hear from someone 100% gluten free because I need
more instruction.  I have this terrible fear in me now that this cancer
is going to come back. I told the dermatologist at a top medical
institution that I must have DH.  He gave me some nizoral shampoo and
fluocinol .01% solution and it is not helping.  He said "DH is too rare
and he isn't going to test me."  (Yet I can get a rare cancer and celiac
disease.)  I am so angry inside because of some doctors who aren't aware
of what's going on with this disease.  All I have are doctors who think
that I have an anxiety problem.  Thanks for all of your support in
listening.  It's really too bad there is a well-known documented disease
and patients have to treat themselves.  I also would like to mention
that NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) has a wonderful
celiac packet that explains the medical disease very well.  We should
consider making them aware of these problems so maybe they could
publicize it more.

Elaine/Ohio