From:
Sjoconnor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:58:51 EST

I have a 7 year old girl who has celiac disease. Our family is catholic and my
daughter is attending classes for first communion. At the end of the course
the first communion mass will, under normal circumstances, require eating a
wheat host and drinking red white. (I will not subject my daughter to gluten
so please refrain from sending any e-mails on ingesting gluten). I am
interested in info from other families with experience on first communion, and
communion in general, about different approaches used to avoid gluten at mass.
Please provide help to following questions.
 - Are gf communion host and communion wine available and if so where can they
be purchased?
 - Who's approval was required to use the gf substitutes and how long did the
approval process take? Please provide the name(s) of priest/bishop who
was/were involved in the decision so I can provide info to our priest.
 - How was the mass performed to prevent cross contamination?
I have already been in contact with our priest, and he his superior. I believe
the lack of familarity with celiac disease in this part of the country may be
part of the problem.
I have reviewed previous post from this list.
I will post summary of responses. Thank you for the help.
Steve O'Connor   Waco,Tx