From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:00:38 -0500

I received 5 replies re novocaine. As with a lot of things there seems
to be no pattern. I would still welcome responses.
Nancy in nyc

1.  Sometimes there is a nerve that runs near the back teeth
that can make it very sensitive.  ... I needed
3 doses of novocain, that wore off quickly, and I still
had pain (but somewhat tolerable) when she drilled.
Much depends on the layout of your mouth.
Mileage will vary.

2.  Have trouble with numbing .I just had 2 root canals:  first was never
completely numb.When told I needed another on the next tooth I cried.  Went
to a diferent endodonist and he gave me mepergan(I believe the brand Weyth)
and ingections of citinest,some into the tooth.  The topical gel I do not
think is GF.I called about the mepergan,it is GF.

3.  Mother has CD and Novicane does not work on her. For a recent tooth
extraction Doctor gave her the maximum amount and it still did not
work. He finally had to give her laughing gas.

4.  I dont know if connected to Celiac but i am extremely allergic to all
local anesthesia.  You are right..it does not kill pain when you have this
problem!!!  It took me finally going into anaphalectic shock and also my
heart stopped after surgery one time.  Its no fun and your choice but not
worht trying again as allergies only get worse.  A few years ago the anest
dept at MCV canceled some mouth surgery because they said that it is very
rare for a person to be allergic to caines and usually was additives
involved.  They said can give it to you straight and when i refused, the
medical school said they had a skin test for it now and in 8 years no one had
a positive reaction.  So with a little uneasiness i agreed to go to allergy
dept to be tested.  I WAS the first person they tested that had a positive
reaction and it didnt take but three sticks.  Now it is documented.  Have
your dr write a note documenting what happened to you because no one had done
that for me before this test.

5.  Novocaine always killed my pain for dental work but causes swelling
afterward;  I think this is pretty standard.