From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:51:43 -0600

Dear listmembers and fellow cruisers,

My husband and I went on a cruise last year and are planning another in
February.  We do not have Celiac, but our daughter does.  We have other
allergies and so we did do research into which cruise lines are more
willing to accommodate special diets.  This is what I read in the book
Against the Grain by Jax Peters Lowell.  This in no way supportive of any
cruise lines.  I do not work for or have any vested interest in one cruise
line over another.

American Hawaii Cruises (800) 765-7000.  Ask for their travel book.  It
gives instructions on how to request special diets with two weeks notice.

Carnival (800) 327-9501.  Gluten free meals can be ordered through their
medical department,  via your travel agent at least two weeks in advance.

Costa (800) 462-6782.  All special diets must be requested in writing to
the Special Services Department at least two weeks before sailing.

Crystal Cruises (800) 446-6620.  Requests for gluten free diets must be
made through travel agent with a minimum of two weeks notice.

Cunard (800) 5-cunard.  These people run Royal Viking and the Royal Viking
Sun.  A gluten free menu must be ordered at least one month before the ship
returns to port and makes ready for the next sailing.  Make these requests
directly with the ship company as well as through your travel agent.

Norwegian Cruise Lines (800) 327-7030.  With a minimum of two weeks notice,
these people will stock and prepare any special diet except macrobiotic (no
plum balls whatever they are).  They will even secure special brands.

Premier (800) 327-7113.  The Big Red Boat has no way to handle special
meals and suggests ordering through your waiter.  The representative
suggests eating "veggie" diet while at sea, but the book suggests calling
the medical department at (407) 783-6061 before blowing them off.

Princess (800) 421-0522.  The Love Boat loves a challenge.  Special diets
are listed on passenger's record and GF meals can be prepared with at least
two weeks notice prior to departure.  Also speak to maitre d' once you are
on board.

Royal Caribbean (800) 327-6700.  No special meal preparation is offered and
no special diets of any kind are handled.  Luckily there are other
cruiselines more willing to accommodate us special people.

I hope this info helps fellow cruisers have a safe as well as relaxing
cruise.

Good luck and good health.

Bev Wahl