Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:58:14 EST

Hi everyone,

I have recently had all my children tested with the antigliadin antibody IgG
blood test (which all came out positive) and this was followed by the
endomysial antibody(EMA) and the IgA antigliadin antibody (which all came out
negative).  In addition, my two youngest were tested for IgA deficiency and
neither were deficient.  My oldest son underwent a biopsy and thankfully, it
was negative.

After going through all of this, I am wondering when testing first degree
relatives of Celiacs, if it is necessary to do the IgG blood test as there are
so many false positives.  I was right in not rushing into having my younger
children biopsied just on the result of this one blood test (which was
originally ordered by my gastro doctor ) and having the IgA and EMA done
before making a decision.

Before posting this, I inquired of a few doctors, why a person might have a
positive IgG and negative everything else and one answer given by Dr. Horvath
was that "the IgG antibody to different food allergens (not only gluten) may
occur frequently in everybody at least temporarily.  The reason is not so well
known.  Generally it is an "innocent" finding.  It means that the immune
system of the gut reacted to the food antigen, but there is no further immune
reaction leading to mucosal damage."

It was also recommended to repeat the blood tests every few years or if there
are symptoms in my children.

My question to the medical professionals on the list is - why bother repeating
any blood tests other than the EMA?  If this is the definitive test, shouldn't
this be the only one done for follow-ups?  I am also thinking, that when
testing first degree relatives, the IgG test should not even be done as there
are so many false positives.   The EMA with testing for IgA deficiency should
be enough.

I would like to provide my doctor with any views on this as I think only
ordering the IgG tests was a mistake on his part.  It caused me great anquish
as I waited for the results on the other more specific tests.  I might add
that my children were also very upset.

Thanks, Barb from NE Ohio