From:
Liz Pavek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:36:49 -0600
Salmon in cans is DELICIOUS!!  I love salmon any way you fix it.  It is
completely safe.  The cans are coated inside to prevent the metal from
reacting with the meat.  I worked in a salmon cannery for a while when I
was up there, and it was very interesting--but cold--work.  (The canneries
are open to the ocean.  The climate there is less than lovely!)  The only
things that go into a can of salmon are salmon and a pinch of salt.  The
salt in canned salmon is mostly from the fish itself, I think.  I wouldn't
rinse it off, as sodium is an essential element in nutrition.  If the only
salt you get in a day is what you get from a can of salmon, you'll be way
deficient.

I don't live in Alaska any more, although I lived there for 30 years.  We
went up and fished for a few days a couple of years ago, and had our
Humpies smoked.  We still have a few jars, and they are awesome!   I think
that was the last time I had FRESH salmon.

Don't be afraid to experiment with commercially canned salmon.  It is one
of the best meats on the market.  Eat the bones.  They are cooked soft and
highly available.

Hope this helps.

Liz