NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jpreston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 08:04:33 -0400
Good morning!
This is becoming a regular morning visit to see what other issues and
concerns everyone is dealing with.

I have some information on some food products--this is a lengthy post.  It
is for non-milk folks.   Delete if this does not apply to you.

This weekend I shopped at a new warehouse store that opened up near us.  I
found two products I had not seen before and want to share them with the
no-milk readers.  First is Aidells pre-cooked sausages.  The original is
"smoked chicken and apple sausage"  The ingredients are "chicken,
evaporated apples, fruit juice concentrate (pineapple, pear, peach and
apple), salt, spices,sodium nitrite, in a pork casing."  They make two
other kinds--one with basil and sun-dried tomatoes and one with artichokes
and garlic.   (A new kind is coming on the market that will have cheese,
but it will be clearly labeled.)  Some of you may have trouble with the
sodium nitrite (I checked with the distributor and they said there is just
a trace amount.)

My daughter is SEVERELY allergic to milk.  Because they contain no milk at
all, she had no trouble with these sausages and they are really good,
especially the sun-dried tomato one (could put on pita bread with a little
sauce and substitute for pepperoni in a home-made pizza!).

The other product we have not tried yet.  It is by Bilinski.  One is "all
natural gourmet chicken sausage with peppers and onions."  (Ingredients:
skinless white chicken meat, skinless chicken thigh meat, water, fresh
green and red peppers, fresh onions, salt, red peppers, pepper,
paprika--there are 2 ingredients that I have unfortunately torn off by
accident that are near the end of the list, but no milk products.)

 The other is "all natural seasoned white chicken meat with sun-dried
tomato and basil." (ingredients:  skinless white chicken meat, water,
sun-dried tomato, dehydrated tomato,
fresh garlic, basil, salt, pepper.)

I was concerned because it read "chicken MEAT" so called the company.  The
spokesperson said that they are required to add "meat" to the ingredient
list because "dark:" chicken meat could be included in small amounts and
the FDA requires them to say chicken MEAT if there is anything other than
breast.  I hope that makes sense.  Anyway, there are no additives and no
milk in any amount.

Also, 2 products I've been using for quite a while are made in Michigan,
but you can get them at good food stores across the country or you can have
your store order them(or get cases sent straight to your house!)  The best
pasta sauce I've ever had--and pasta!  The brand is "Mama Mucci's Pasta."
They make a tomato basil pasta sauce that is all natural, fresh everything.
 Ingredients: 100% fresh crushed tomatoes, water, fresh onion, extra virgin
oliveoil, fresh basil, fresh garlic, kosher salt, balck pepper. All natural
ingredients.  No preservatives added.

Pasta--they make several kinds. We like the fettucine. Ingredients vary
slightly from one kind to the other. I am looking at the "garlic-parsley
linguine" box and the ingredients are 100% semolina durum wheat, whole
eggs, water, garlic powder and parsley.

Two addresses: Mucci Food Products, Ltd., PO Box 700685, Plymouth, MI
48170   734/453-4555 or Mucci Foods, Ltd. 7676 Ronda Dr., Canton, MI  48187
 (Both the same location and same phone number.)  The best restaurants
around the Ann Arbor/Detroit area use their products and they are AWESOME.

Also,Soy-Boy makes a tofu ravioli and we have found it at Whole Foods in
Ann Arbor.   We buy their ravioli and add the Mama Mucci pasta sauce--and
another great meal!!

I hope this has been helpful.  I am constantly on the look for new
products, especially things that my daughter can prepare herself (she is
14), that are also good.   Occasionally, I am willing to accept a little
extra "fat" in order to get something tasty that she can have.  (The pasta
and sauce of course has minimal fat.)

Good luck, all!