From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:24:33 -0500
On 08/07/98 13:16:40 you wrote:
>From:    French Parrot <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Eating grass (and an intro)
>
>I've been vegetarian for the last 6 years mainly for
>health reasons; I had terrible acne that went away when
>I stopped eating meat... However, I'm attracted to the
>Paleo logic and wonder if we have any  veg's on this
>list.
>
>BTW, I think bamboo qualifies as a grass, and the
>_shoots_ are edible; are they eaten by H-G's? I know I
>love the taste of wheatgrass shoots, and even though I
>can't digest the cellulose, I can't digest the
>cellulose from any other plant, either (like mangoes or
>coconut, which are on the diet. I hope.) I think the
>problematic protein in wheat is gluten in the berry, but
>nobody makes bread out of the grass part of the plant
>anyway. So I'm suspecting that the green part of the
>plant might be considered paleo. Comments?

I am not a total vegetarian, but I promote vegetarianism
as a very healthy way to go.

I eat salmon, tuna, some mackerel, chicken, some turkey,
and a very little bit of red meat, and only occasionally.
I have done enough research to convince me that this is
quite Paleo, except maybe for the fish.

The bulk of my diet comes from raw fruits and veggies,
and raw unsalted nuts (real ones, not peanuts or
cashews).

I think that those ignoring vegetarianism as one of the
several paths to Paleolithic nutrition are misguided.
Paleo does not equal meat, it means eating raw, as Todd
Moody pointed out.

James

Space travel is utter bilge.
    -Woolley, Richard (U.K. Astronomer Royal)
     (In 1956, the year before Sputnik)