From:
Marc Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:48:36 -0700
On 4/16/98 9:02 PM, LIFE F0RCE said:

>Have you ever eaten sushi? We have a sushi restauraunt here that has a $10
>all-you-can-eat buffet where you can get every kind of delicious fish on rice
>(called sashimi)
Dear Liza,
    Actually, sashimi is raw fish without the rice.  Sushi is raw fish on
rice.

Pam wrote:
>  I am afraid of sushi because I have read too many medical cases
>where people have gotten severe and unpleasant cases of parasite
>infestation from it.

My husband and I have been eating sashimi for years and have never had
any problems.  We do pick our sushi bars carefully, and I would be a
little hesitant of going to the $10 buffet type places, but there are
several excellent sushi bars on the west c
oast
In all the years we've consumed raw fish, I have never known anyone
personally who has gotten sick.  Of the cases I've heard of people
getting sick from eating in sushi bars, (no one personally-just
overhearing conversations), they were always people who ate things with
mayonaise in them - which was probably more the bad mayo than the fish!
The other common complaint was oysters.  Raw oysters should never be
consumed with alochol.  There's something in the combination that is
extremely reactive for most people.