From:
LIFE F0RCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:02:42 EDT
Gatsby:
<< my favourite fish is mackerel! Will I turn myself off it by eating it
raw???? How will I go about it? >>

I have been on a mackerel `binge' for a number of months now - and I eat it
all raw.  Most of this time it has tasted like the most fantastically
delicious thing I have ever tasted in my entire life - and I have tasted many
good things!

Have you ever eaten sushi? We have a sushi restauraunt here that has a $10
all-you-can-eat buffet where you can get every kind of delicious fish on rice
(called sashimi) plus all the varieties of sushi rolls you can think of (fish
or veggies wrapped in rice and then nori seaweed), plus a huge bar of cooked
tuna, chicken, shrimp, mussels, squid, eel, and many many vegetables cooked
and raw. I go there and fill my plate with mackerel sashimi, and don't eat the
rice (they don't like that, but I do it anyway).

I buy mackerel fresh, let it sit in the fridge for a few days and dry out, and
then eat that raw and it is soooooo good. I also buy yellow fin tuna fresh
(this just literally melts with no chewing it is so smooth), and salmon (wild
not farmed, not very tasty to me lately, actually almost tasteless), bluefish
(really great - a lot like mackerel, real strong and fishy tasting) and
rockfish. I eat them all raw, and it is totally satisfying - but my main love
is mackerel. Yum.

As far as the red meat - I didn't like it at all when I ate it fresh. I was
told to let the meat age, and it is amazing how different it tastes when aged
for a while in the refrigerator. It tastes very similar to a piece of cooked
meat - very good. Give that a try and see if that helps. By the way - as funny
as it was to read about the tiny piece of meat and your retching and your
wife's hilarious deadpan comments - still I don't think ANY diet is worth
having to overcome a gag reflex to get the food down! If it is that revolting
to you, it just cannot be something useful for your body. But I sure enjoyed
reading your funny story!

Love Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)