From:
Binnie Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:36:41 -0500
>I am under the impression that paleo man's bones where considered
>adequately dense.  I never heard any reports of these bones having the
>appearance of a condition of osteoporosis.  I would sooner spend my time
>trying to perfect that diet rather than devising a debatably useful broth
>or soup.

Yes, but we can never hope to truly duplicate paleo man's diet.  It is
possible that some component of his diet that is no longer available to
modern man or that is not being consumed in the same ratios was responsible
for his dense bone mass.  Osteoporosis runs in my family so I can't help
being concerned. From this list I have learned that while spinach contains
abundant calcium, it also contains components that keep calcium from being
absorbed. Prior to learning this, I could have been consuming spinach
daily, and feeling that I was doing the best possible thing for myself to
stave off this condition. Actually the "soup" is simply a metaphor for
gathering as much info on calcium rich foods and its absorption in the
human body as I can from a group of people who obviously put a lot of
thought and research into "what" they put into their mouths. I never cease
to be amazed by the wealth of knowledge I find on this list.  All I can
hope to do is educate myself and make my own "path" as a pioneer on the
"NeanderThin Trail" to health through sound nutrition:-)

Binnie