From:
LIFE F0RCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:14:47 EST
Charlie, my name is Liza May, not Love Liza!!!  lol!!!  It would be nice if my
first name were Love, but its not!!

(Charlie wrote:
<< Love Liza writes...>> )

Charlie also wrote:
<< Quite a few studies show that a glass or two of wine is actually good for
you >>

Liza:
The studies show that something in the wine may be good - but there is no
concensus as to what that is, or whether it is found in red grapes (phenols,
quercitin, pycnogenol, grapeseed extract, or whatever), or in alcohol (in
which case we could drink some whiskey and get the same benefit).  So it is
not accurate to interpret the studies to mean that a glass or two of wine is
good for you.

Charlie:
<< the health risks associated with moderate wine consumption are not a source
of concern for me. >>

Liza:
As far as the risks, it's important to remember that wine contains many other
substances besides the alcohol which are problematic - such as an enormous
amount of sugar, many calories, sulfites (to which many are allergic), and
residues of all the most dangerous of pesticides (those used on grapes may be
the very worst).

This is aside from the fact that alcohol is addictive, causes permanent brain
damage (maybe noticeable, maybe not - but still its so!), that because the
body becomes accustomed to it the dosage must constantly be increased to
achieve the same affects, and that is so often used for the wrong reasons
(what could be right reasons?).

For example:
To 'loosen up' after a stressful day at work (rather than learning to create
the relaxation resonse in the healthy, fully functioning body - or by changing
the life situation to a less stressful one, if possible); or,
To 'overcome shyness and be able to talk to people' (rather than learning to
come out of one's shell, or learning real social skills); or,
To 'party and have a good time' (rather than figuring out how to really laugh,
party, and have a great time without the drug), etc. etc.

People have a hard time being moderate when it comes to addictive substances.
I have seen too many people with serious problems because of using alcohol to
be able to say, like you do, that 'moderate' consumption is not a concern.

Charlie:
<< But Your OPINION is that it's not a good idea.  Fine, you don't have to
drink  My OPINION is that it's okay for me to have an occasional glass of
wine, and I will. >>

Yes, as I said in the first post and am saying again here, it is definately my
opinion that it is not a good idea to drink.  As far as what you personally do
with your health, of course you have the right and freedom to choose to do
anything you want - unhealthy, healthy, rational or irrational - its all your
choice.

Love, Liza

([log in to unmask]) Liza May